While we were packing and getting ready for the Cabo San Lucas trip, I noticed a 2000 Pesos bill (Mexican money) in the travel pouch and decided to use it in Cabo. This should have been the left over money from our April, 2007 Cancun, Mexico trip. Usually, when we re-enter US, we exchange the foreign money back to $$$. Somehow, we had missed this.
When I tried to use the 2000 Pesos bill in shops they were refusing to accept it. I thought I would change it in the Resort but resort people asked me to check with a bank.
On the day we walked to the Cabo town, I found a Mexican Bank (BanaMex) and walked in. One of the officers listened to my story and then examined the bill. Then he told me something I have never heard of before. In Mexico, they periodically make old bills invalid and keep issuing newly designed bills. May be this is to avoid counterfeit money.
Then he told me that my 2000 pesos (almost equivalent to US$200 ) is worth only 2 pesos :((
I told him that may be, I will frame it and hang it on my wall. That would be the costliest art work in the house :))
When I tried to use the 2000 Pesos bill in shops they were refusing to accept it. I thought I would change it in the Resort but resort people asked me to check with a bank.
On the day we walked to the Cabo town, I found a Mexican Bank (BanaMex) and walked in. One of the officers listened to my story and then examined the bill. Then he told me something I have never heard of before. In Mexico, they periodically make old bills invalid and keep issuing newly designed bills. May be this is to avoid counterfeit money.
Then he told me that my 2000 pesos (almost equivalent to US$200 ) is worth only 2 pesos :((
I told him that may be, I will frame it and hang it on my wall. That would be the costliest art work in the house :))



No comments:
Post a Comment