In January, I was delighted to learn that one of my favorite Astrophotographer, Dennis Mammana is offering a training session on "Night Sky Photography" in Anza Borrego desert which is an hour's drive from SD. Dennis Mammana is known world wide. He lives in Anza Borrego during the Winter months (summer time temps rise above 112 degrees in the desert and only few folks stay in town).
I signed up for the course, hoping to learn some fundamentals. I was expecting a big crowd for the course but was delighted to see only 6 people in the class. That means lot of personal one-on-one interactions. The course was scheduled between 12 & 5. After dinner, the plan was to go out to the field and take photos of the sky with Dennis helping us.
When we broke for dinner at 5, I asked Dennis to suggest a good restaurant. To my surprise, Dennis invited me to join him and his friend Ted for dinner. At dinner Dennis talked about his experiences around the world Dennis had visited for sky photography sessions. He appreciated that I am a volunteer coach for Astronomy at our middle school, making young kids interested in Astronomy. We went back to the field and spent another 2 hours shooting the Sky, putting into practice all the lessons we learned.
| with Dennis Mammana @ Anza Borrego Desert |
The following photos were taken in our backyard.
![]() |
| Orion over the house. |
In the photo below, you could see my favorite swing and hammock. It is pure bliss to just lie on the hammock and enjoy the blue skies during the day as well as watch the stars during the night :)
![]() |
| Ursa Major (சப்தரிஷி) rising over the swing |
Checkout: Dennis Mamman's Website


மனிதன் நட்சத்திரங்களைப் பற்றி சொல்வது
ReplyDeleteவானியல் ( Astronomy )
நட்சத்திரங்கள் மனிதனைப் பற்றி சொல்வது
ஜோதிடம் ( Astrology )
Made the photos bigger now.
ReplyDelete@JP
ஆஹா ஆஹா என்ன ஒரு தத்துவ முத்து :)
எங்களுக்கு ரெட்டைவால் நட்சத்திரத்தை
ReplyDeleteபடம் பிடுச்சுக் காட்டு மாமனே...
@JP
ReplyDeleteWould love to do that. I need a tracking telescope for that which I don't have now. One of the future projects.
"இரெட்டை வால் குருவி" படம் தான் ஞாபகம் வருது
;) ;)
@ Sundu
ReplyDeleteI am ready for this night sky photography
you have a light pollution free sky view from your house!
ReplyDeletein NYC the maximum thing you can spot in the sky is moon apart from sun :)
@ DG
ReplyDeleteI can imagine the thanksgiving break :)
nice one Sundu.
ReplyDelete@Sri
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely clear skies. No light pollution. No snow. No freezing fingers while taking shots of Saturn (as in Boston). Yet another perk for living in SD.
@DG
Just like I trained you when you were 5, I am also looking fwd to TG break. I will let you do all the hard work. In the last minute, I will come out and take the snap. ;) ;)
@Siva
:) :) :)
விண்ணோக்க அறிய அரியதாய்
ReplyDeleteவிரிந்த வான வெளியென நின்றனை..
அண்ட கோடிகள் வானில் அமைத்தனை..
அவற்றில் எண்ணற்ற வேகம் சமைத்தனை..
மண்டலத்தை அணு அணுவாக்கினால்
வருவது எத்தனை எத்தனை யோசனை
கொண்ட தூரம் அவற்றிடை வைத்தனை
கோலமே நினைக் காளிஎன்றேத்துவேன்..
- பாரதியார்
@JP
ReplyDeleteWow! I didn't know Bharathiyar has written about Space too.