Istanbul, Turkey
June, 2015
As I was writing this post, I read with a heavy heart about the recent terrorist attack in Ankara, Turkey's capital. Our trip to Istanbul was during last June. We absolutely loved Istanbul. People were very friendly and on many occasions, went out of the way to help us. Very often, I felt I was visiting my hometown in India!!! I sincerely wish, hope and pray for a peaceful world without hate, anger and violence and full of love and happiness.
For a brief history of Istanbul, refer my previous post: Honeycomb For Breakfast!
June, 2015
As I was writing this post, I read with a heavy heart about the recent terrorist attack in Ankara, Turkey's capital. Our trip to Istanbul was during last June. We absolutely loved Istanbul. People were very friendly and on many occasions, went out of the way to help us. Very often, I felt I was visiting my hometown in India!!! I sincerely wish, hope and pray for a peaceful world without hate, anger and violence and full of love and happiness.
![]() |
| Beautiful gold plated fountain for ablutions. |
![]() |
| Above the massive entrance is a mosaic of Virgin Mary holding Baby Jesus. |
![]() |
| The mosaic was discovered during renovations in 1849. |
![]() |
![]() |
| The dome of the Nave reaches a height of 184 feet. Vertical panorama of 3 images. |
![]() |
| Symbols of Christianity and Islam, side by side in the Church-turned-Mosque-turned-Museum, Haghi Sophia !!! |
![]() |
![]() |
| View from the upper gallery. |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
| This mosaic in the upper gallery, depicting Virgin Mary, Jesus and John the Baptist is believed to be from 1261. |
For a brief history of Istanbul, refer my previous post: Honeycomb For Breakfast!













No comments:
Post a Comment