On Saturday and Sunday nights I was anxiously watching the sky. There was too much cloud cover. I was wondering how Monday (April 14th) night was going to be. Thank God, it turned out to be a warm and perfect clear night.
All the newspapers and websites were calling the Total Lunar Eclipse as the Blood Red Moon. This is the first of the four Lunar Eclipses we are going experience with in the next one year. The next three are coming up on October 8th, 2014, April 4th, 2015 and September 28th, 2015. Four back to back Lunar Eclipses are called "Tetrad of Lunar Eclipses" and happens once in around 600 years. The remaining 3 Lunar Eclipses will also be visible from USA.
The eclipse started around 11 PM. Standing outside the house, I started taking a series of photos at regular intervals. Around 11:45 PM, my neighbor, a retired Doctor, stepped out to watch the eclipse. I showed him a close up view of the eclipse through my camera. At 12:07 AM, totality of the eclipse started and the moon did turn blood red!!! My neighbor went inside and brought out 2 glasses of wine :)) We were sipping the wine, having a conversation and enjoyed the blood red moon for some time. At around 1:30 AM, totality ended and the moon slowly started getting its shine back. I was very sleepy and hit the bed without even looking at the photos I took.
Here is my first attempt at creating a collage of the Lunar eclipse with 9 of my best shots.
BTW, no photo can match the naked eye experience of the truly amazing 3D effect of the blood red moon!
All the newspapers and websites were calling the Total Lunar Eclipse as the Blood Red Moon. This is the first of the four Lunar Eclipses we are going experience with in the next one year. The next three are coming up on October 8th, 2014, April 4th, 2015 and September 28th, 2015. Four back to back Lunar Eclipses are called "Tetrad of Lunar Eclipses" and happens once in around 600 years. The remaining 3 Lunar Eclipses will also be visible from USA.
The eclipse started around 11 PM. Standing outside the house, I started taking a series of photos at regular intervals. Around 11:45 PM, my neighbor, a retired Doctor, stepped out to watch the eclipse. I showed him a close up view of the eclipse through my camera. At 12:07 AM, totality of the eclipse started and the moon did turn blood red!!! My neighbor went inside and brought out 2 glasses of wine :)) We were sipping the wine, having a conversation and enjoyed the blood red moon for some time. At around 1:30 AM, totality ended and the moon slowly started getting its shine back. I was very sleepy and hit the bed without even looking at the photos I took.
Here is my first attempt at creating a collage of the Lunar eclipse with 9 of my best shots.
BTW, no photo can match the naked eye experience of the truly amazing 3D effect of the blood red moon!

Pretty Cool, Sundar - Ramesh
ReplyDeleteThanks Ramesh :)
DeleteIt is TOTALLY AMAZING!....thanks Sundar. The weather in Michigan was deceptive, Glad to get a view through your cameras eyes! Missed the night wine too! Next time during star gazing we should have wine tasting too:)
ReplyDeleteHi Shobh, you are giving me plenty of ideas :) I am thinking of leaving my current job, start "San Diego Stargazing" company, charge people for star gazing and offer wine too !!!! " This is Andromeda Galaxy! Do you want red wine or white wine with it" :) ..When is next time ??? :)
Deleteblood red must have been...... the wine toooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHey Balaji, yes, Of course ;)
Delete